At the Cotswold Astronomical Society we are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
This notice explains the personal data we capture and store, the purposes for which we will use it, the lawful bases for processing data, where we transfer data to, how long we will keep your data, and your rights in the matter.
This privacy notice is written in the context of the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) and the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations (PECR).
We may change this notice from time to time and will notify you if this is the case.
Who are we?
We are the Cotswold Astronomical Society, a small club for those interested in amateur astronomy in the Gloucestershire area of the United Kingdom.
You can contact us through our website cotswoldas.org.uk, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by writing to Cotswold Astronomical Society, 11 Morlands Drive, Charlton Kings, Cheltenham, GL53, 8LR, United Kingdom.
The CAS Coordinator is the lead for data protection within the society.
The purposes of the processing
We capture basic information to administer your membership. The personal data we capture may include your name, address, telephone number, email address, IP address, and other non-identifying information. We do not capture any sensitive personal data.
We use your personal data for the following purposes:
- To administer your membership of the CAS
- To provide you with services and publications as part of your membership
- To provide secure services on our website (IP address).
If you have opted-in to our electronic communications we will send electronic news emails from time to time.
The lawful bases for the processing
There are two lawful bases for the processing of your information:
- Contract: you have a contract (your membership) with the CAS for us to provide services, publications and other benefits;
- Consent: you can optionally consent to join our electronic communication email list. Note that even if such consent has not been given, we may still send you emails necessary to provide you with services and information which relate to your contract.
Transfers of personal data
We do not sell or provide personal data to third parties for purposes which are outside the purposes above. We provide limited subsets of data (only the data required) to third parties to provide services to members:
- MailChimp: who provide mailing list services – this is an international organisation which provides internationally recognised protections through the EU-US Privacy Shield Framework;
Your personal data will be held while you are a member of the CAS. If you leave the CAS we will retain your data for two years.
You have the right to access your personal data record for checking and the right to have the record corrected if in error. Data will be provided electronically unless otherwise requested. You can withdraw consent to receive messages from our electronic communications email list at any time.
To exercise these rights please contact the Coordinator – details above.
You have the right to lodge a complaint the Information Commissioner (website ico.org)